Sunday, September 02, 2007

THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY!!!

Well, it is about time for me to rant once again… My observations as I work in the field of video production and at my part time job, both allow me to work with the public at large. Listening and watching people allows for great character development, and as a writer of literary short stories and screenplays, this is important.

I met quite a few people out there from different corners of the globe, and I have learned from my experience.

THE GOOD…

I like people who want to learn from you, which in turn, you want to learn from them. People, who have their own opinion about things and are not afraid to share them, yet do not alienate you for disagreeing with some or all aspects of these ideas and opinions.

I met a bunch of good, honest, open people, who have strong convictions and opinions and I believe that such diversity is a powerful thing.

THE BAD…

I was shooting a wedding a few months ago with Mike, my business partner, a beautiful affair at a local resort. A lovely brunch was served; we were seated with the photographer and two couples. It was hot that day and the ceremony was outdoors, it was extremely good to be finally indoors and sitting for a change. It was great until one of them started talking, sparking a table wide conversation.

First was the response from the photographer when I said that I have been here in Phoenix for nearly fifteen years, and I jokingly said that I was practically a native, and I got a stern… NO, YOU ARE NOT! Then I heard from one of the other geniuses at the table, “ I’M NOT A NATIVE BECAUSE I REFUSE TO WEAR THE FEATHERS! Wow! How prolific.

Then they went on rambling about how the freeway system in Phoenix are poorly designed and wondering why it took them thirty years to build it.

Then we moved into the next topic, light rail. Being a person that is really into trains and looking at everyone other than Mike at the table, I was not very confident with the outcome. Then I heard from the photographer, “Phil Gordon was a really genius pushing that waste of tax payer dollars.” In addition, wow! I heard more idiotic responses. “ Nobody wants it, only the homeless are going to ride it… The dufus who made the earlier feather comment talks about the short run test that they performed on the system back in the spring and that it only got up to 3 miles an hour, when I know for a fact that it went much faster… Then some of the proposals that from the group that seemed like it was directly from the Acme Book of Bad Ideas… like a monorail from Phoenix to Tucson… Why not build a Trekkie transporter to get you from point A to B; it would be just as pricey… talk about a waste of taxpayer dollars.

THE UGLY…

I watched the coarse of the conversation and new where it was going to lead, GLOBAL WARMING. The photographer did not believe in it. He remembers when it was thought that we would be an ice age. After the reception, I saw this person get into the biggest Hummer that they make. The only people who should drive a vehicle that big should have the first and middle initials of G and I, with the last name of Joe.

What a great day for making up fictional characters with extreme ideas…. Sadly, this was reality….

No comments:

Powered By Blogger